January 31, 2011

How do you "see" God in your life?

I've recently been asked how in the world I could believe in a God that has no "scientific" or "historical" proof of existing.  This person doesn't believe the Bible is true and wants to see some "proof" that God exists.

We've obviously had some interesting discussions, but it has also really got me thinking.  I do believe there are great answers in Lee Strobel's Case for Faith and Case for Christ books about historical and scientific backing of the Bible.  I also wholeheartedly believe that just the consistency of the Biblical writings and all the fulfilled prophecies is enough to prove the Bible on its own.

But what has really been fun to think about through this process was the personal side.  How have I seen God move in my life...not Lee Strobel...not words from the Bible...but me.

To list just a few...I am amazed by nature...God's creation.  Seeing the vastness of the ocean or the Grand Canyon, the beauty of the sunrise, the majesty of the mountains...wow!  Everytime we fly, I always pick a window seat because I'm just a big kid who loves to see out the window.  It's just remarkable.

I can also see God in a big way by His leading us to Seattle.  The timing of Edgewood looking for a worship pastor and us feeling led toward full-time ministry...the fact that the job fits so well with what I love doing...the heart that I already had for the Northwest by being born up here...and just detail after detail of how everything worked out.  I don't believe in coincidences.  Since coming here, it has been confirmed time after time that this is where He wants us.  Not only for the ministry, but also for our personal lives.  In our first year here, we heard about a marriage conference that proved to be a pivotal point in our marriage.  It so drastically changed our relationship in a positive way.  What's funny to me is that this conference is based out of Little Rock and we never heard about it until moving to Seattle =).  Also, moving away from friends and family was extremely difficult.  But, it made us focus more on each other.  Our marriage relationship has grown by LEAPS AND BOUNDS since we moved here.  There is no way that it was by our doing, but it is by what God has been doing through us when we just say "yes" and follow His direction.

And, as if Megan isn't crying already reading this =), I have just been in so much AWE over this new baby coming into our lives.  Hearing Madelyn's heartbeat when she's only a few weeks old, seeing her hands and feet move around with such joy after a few months, WOW!  It's hard for me to grasp not believing in God when we're seeing this miracle grow right in front of us.  It's absolutely amazing.  On a small note, I also think God knew exactly what He was doing by giving parents 9-months to get ready =)...we sure need it!

I give all the credit to God for these miracles and for many other things that He's done through our lives.  I know that science and Satan's deceiving ways try to steal the glory away from God.  It is a difficult world we live in and I do pray that all of us will seek out why we believe what we believe.  John 10:10 says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the fullest."  I do pray for my friend regularly and for any others that they will truly find life and have it to the fullest!

PLEASE take a minute to comment on this post and share a story of how you've seen God in your life.  I'd love to hear your stories and celebrate with you.

5 comments:

  1. Putting "scientific" and "historical" and "proof" in quotes really makes you seem like somebody from the dark ages (it implies a sardonic tone, like you think those are negative). Science has actually given us things that you use, like the Internet, for example. Those three things have been responsible for many of the good things we have today. Putting negative connotations on science, history, and reason when they are used as evidence against you is a poor way to give evidence for your beliefs. You use all three of those things to make decisions in other areas of your life, yet you discount them ONLY when they challenge what you belief. It even says in the Bible that God has laid out his creation for us to make sense of - without history we could not understand with certainty the events of the Bible, without science we could not verify its claims (we could not verify ANY claims, for that matter, people would just believe anything you told them), and without rational reasoning we would have racism, prejudice, hatred, and many other evils that God obviously wouldn't want. Science does NOT steal the glory from God, if anything, (and as a former Christian I believed this) it helps us understand him even better. So to say that any of those things are bad is to say that you are fine with us never advancing as humans and continuing to be biased and prejudiced. Be careful about the implications of your reasoning.

    I can tell you with certainty that if you asked any of the rational Christians I know, (my family and quite a few of my friends, for example) they would find that tactic frustrating and irrational.

    "t's hard for me to grasp not believing in God when we're seeing this miracle grow right in front of us"
    Millions of people all over the world have managed to grasp the concept of pregnancy and embryonic growth. It's really not a new thing. We even talked about miracles in Focal Point: they are occurences that are phyiscally impossible (like being raised from the dead.). Birth doesn't fit that definition, though it is an amazing process, we actually understand how it works and its disingenuous to act as if we don't.

    "God knew exactly what He was doing by giving parents 9-months to get ready"
    So for the parents with unplanned pregnancies, God didn't know what he was doing? What about the people with children born with horrible afflictions who live painfully and die quickly? Did God know what he was doing then? Imagine, for a moment, that your child was born premature and died (always a possibility, although I certainly hope it doesn't happen). That would really suck, but would you honestly say that God had planned it all along? This has happened to other Christians, believe it or not, and quite a few of them have decided God really doesn't intervene with their lives. They realized they were just making up explanations of what God was and wasn't doing after the fact.

    This post has a tone of immobilisation: "How wrong this person must be, I MUST be right! It's true because it just is and i feel it's true!" and minimalisation: "I'll rationalize my uncertainty away by finding other people who agree with me and using that to assure myself, and by interpreting positive events in a way that supports my beliefs" (though there are infinitely many other interpretations).

    ReplyDelete
  2. KH, I’ll try my best to answer these concerns. First, don’t read too much into the quotations. I didn’t mean anything intentional by them. No, they’re not necessary…don’t freak out =).

    As for the terminology of “miracle”, you are correct. It is an amazing process that God designed, that’s all I was celebrating.

    The 9-months to get ready thing, you totally misread. I just meant it was nice to have 9 months to prepare for actually having a child in our house…preparing the house, redoing our financial budget, thinking through work schedules, stuff like that. That’s all I meant.

    Regarding “immobilization”, you’re right. There is a tone of immobilization because my beliefs are not up for debate. I have no uncertainty about my beliefs…none. I might not understand every single issue of God, but I don't to. I wholeheartedly believe He exists and loves me enough to send His Son to die for me. I believe He's saved me from my sin and given me eternal life. So, there is no rationalization going on here. I have nothing to rationalize. If this person, or anyone, doesn’t agree with me, that is their own choice. I don’t agree with them, but it will not change what I believe.

    Thanks for your comments. I’ll work hard to make sure future posts are as clear as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do i see God in my life... well... i think the best example is in the friends/ family He has provided. He has consistently placed men and women in my life that provide fellowship, mentorship, advice, laughter, shoulders to lean on, etc. it's what i need and He's blessed me greatly.

    and i think tim nailed it on the head with children. they are such an amazing gift. i too stand in awe of His creation.

    and though i don't know it all, i have faith that His word is living and moving and as i strive to live each day as He walked, i learn more and more about His character and plan for my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see God in the changes He builds into the lives of the people who trust Him. Family situations, behavior patterns, habits, convictions, addictions, etc. have all been changed as a result of God's work in human lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, the uneducated and truly a simple minded person, the answer is in every nanosecond of my life. The existence of a loving God who desired reconciliation with humanity, and chose before the beginning of time to do it through His son - is beyond my human reason, beyond my human thinking, which is reassuring. What kind of God can be understood by a finite mind?
    You can not prove to me that all that is seen is by chance or accident because my mind simply can not fathom it. Not because it hasn't been considered but because I am so completely convinced that I am no longer even willing to waste my energy on the argument.
    My reasons may seem ridiculous but I have only to convince myself.
    I am very strong willed, you can not convince me easily... I have wrestled with the big questions and I am so completely convinced of God's omnipotence that I can not even fathom the thought that He is not in complete control of the good, the bad, and the ugly - do I understand the suffering? Absolutely not, but I can rest in the fact that He is the all knowing.
    If life is without plan or purpose why is everything created with order? If there is no plan or purpose there would be no order. Down to the very functions of a single cell - how could any of it function with a designer? A designer who is greater than my comprehension.

    KH - why the confrontation, why take offense? Is Tim not motivated by love and concern for you and really all humanity? When we allow ourselves to be insulted by someone's comments, I believe it shows a lack of understanding the love and concern communicated in a compassionate way.

    ReplyDelete