November 29, 2010

Today's Idols

Another great session that I attended at the worship conference was led by Andy Park.  He is the writer of many worship songs and is probably best known for writing "In the Secret."  His session was about the importance of worshipping God all week long...not just on Sundays.  Sundays are great days where we can gather together to worship as one body.  But, sometimes when we get back to work the next day, it seems as if we're in a different world.  Just as this applies to teachers, engineers, computer guys, and whoever...it definitely applies to pastors in the church as well.  We all let a variety of things become our "idols" and instead of worshipping God, we're worshipping these idols.  Andy Park shared five points about these idols.
  1. Idolatry is a perversion of the good
  2. Our identity is determined by the idol
  3. Idols demand sacrifice
  4. We justify our idols
  5. Our idols finally kill us
He was mainly hitting on our jobs.  Many other things can also become our idols, but I can see how easy it is to make our jobs our idols.  Work was created by God and is a very good thing.  And, wherever He has placed us, we need to be the best that we can be.  One of my life verses is Colossians 3:23..."Work at everything as if you're doing it for the Lord, not for man."  Whatever gifts God has given us, we must take those and work for Him with everything we've got.  So...where do you draw the line?

"Idolatry is a perversion of the good"....if our job calls us to work 40 hours a week, we're not doing anyone any favors by working 50 or 60 hours instead.  This is a tough one for me.  I feel like if I could practice a little longer, or make a few more phone calls, or schedule another event, I could be more effective.  When in reality, that means I'm neglecting my own family who is waiting for me at home.  "Idols require sacrifice"....when I do that, I'm sacrificing my family time and making my work become my idol.  "We justify our idols"...believe me, ministry is an easy thing to justify because everything we're doing seems worthwhile.

Are there things in your life that are demanding more sacrifice and distracting you from what God is calling you to be?  Life's not supposed to be frantic.  If things are getting in your way, maybe you need to let them go.  Or, maybe you need to find a way to better control them so they don't keep getting worse.

I want to be used by God for the rest of my life.  I pray that I can be an effective worship pastor without allowing my position to become my idol.  It's 5:00...I'm heading home to be with my wife =).

No comments:

Post a Comment