November 1, 2010

Don't be anxious...easier said than done.

What things cause you to be anxious, or to worry?  For me, even though I do it every week, it's talking in front of our congregation!  You that attend Edgewood know that I don't say much more than I need to and I like to let the songs speak for themselves.  We could sing 20 minutes worth of music and talk for 30 seconds and I'd be more nervous about that 30 seconds than the rest of the service!  However, every once in awhile a short song introduction or reminder of why we're singing what we're singing can really help keep our focus on track.  So, I think it's an important thing to do. 

Just being in front of people isn't really the problem.  It's more of the fact that if there is something I feel God is leading me to say, I want to make sure I say it right and clearly for everyone to understand.  I tend to stumble over my words a lot and not be too clear with my speech.  Sometimes I'll even be in the middle of a sentence and forget what I was talking about.  Sheesh. 

The story of God calling Moses has been a strong encouragement to me through this struggle.  We all know the amazing things that God did through Moses, but do you remember the struggles he had getting started?  First of all, God sent Him a burning bush...wouldn't that be a pretty clear message right there that you need to listen and do what God is asking??  But, Moses asks (Exodus 3:11) "But who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"  God replied, "I will be with you."  But, apparently that wasn't enough either.  In 4:10 Moses said to the Lord, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant.  I am slow of speech and tongue."  I'm right there with ya' Moses!

But listen to God's reply...

"Who gave man his mouth?  Who makes him deaf or mute?  Who gives him sight or makes him blind?  Is it not I, the Lord?  Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

Wow.  God gave me this mouth and I worry that it's not good enough??  I need to speak with boldness, without fear, knowing that God will help me speak and teach me what to say.  God worked through Moses' life to accomplish impressive things...I need to allow God to work through my life in powerful ways as well.

Two other great verses that encourage me are...
2 Timothy 1:7  "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."
Phil 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, in thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Is there something that's holding you back from serving God fully this week?  Something that makes you nervous that you need to let go to God?  Present those to God, let Him take control and see what He wants to do through your life!

- I'd always love to hear comments on this blog about how these posts encourage you, or maybe you have further examples or questions.  I'd love to hear from you.  Just click on "comments" underneath each post. -

4 comments:

  1. Tim -
    First - Love, love, love the BLOG!!!! I've recently turned into a blog reader - and I'm so glad that EBC is moving that way.

    Second - I'm just so sappy these days, but this got the water works going....
    "I tend to stumble over my words a lot and not be too clear with my speech. Sometimes I'll even be in the middle of a sentence and forget what I was talking about. Sheesh." REALLY? I have never wished for you to be more clear. What you might deem a liability has never kept me from drawing closer to the Lord through your ministry. Have no fear, God clarifies those words and the Holy Spirit completes your sentences. ...... But I am right there with you! I stumble over my words, lose my thought mid-stream, start with a concept and feel like I leave it hanging, over explain, under explain, have times where I wonder if anything good was communicated through the words I spoke. But I love this.... 1 Cor. 2: 1-5 "When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power." I guess it's not all about me!
    I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie. That is a great verse as well. It goes to show that God's power can work through our weaknesses if we simply let Him. Anything good I say is DEFINITELY from Him! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am anxious a majority of the time. I love the verse phil 4:6 - 7. I would not make it through life without that one.

    You always seem confident and speak with words that draws me into the songs.. I think you do a great job of showing your heart during worship. I think by opening up and say you get anxious too helps others including me to know it is natural to feel that way when you are in front of people.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments and encouragement. I pray that you and I can both let go of that nervousness and let God take over with "the peace that transcends all understanding."

    ReplyDelete